Monday, September 17, 2012

Song of the Night (#13) Marillion - Garden Party

I don't know what "neo-progressive rock" is, exactly, but it seems that British rock group Marillion is cited as a prime example of the genre. Despite reading about them all the time, I was rather put-off by the "progressive rock" description, and chose to give them a pass.

This was until I heard Garden Party.


Now, I haven't heard much of Marillion's discography. I can't judge on how representative this one song is of their overall output, but this particular song is brilliant, brilliant gem.

The titular Garden Party is a gathering of the social elite and wealth-stuffed fools, and the song's every lyric satirizes their excessive habits. For his part, vocalist Fish gleefully roasts the hell out of his targets; he might well be a voyeur to an orgy ("I'm fucking"). Oddly enough, despite the jesting tone, the melody soars to heights I can only describe as... heartwarming!

Yeah, there are the requisite prog-rock touches (namely the stop-start groove and a gorgeous synthesizer solo), but while most prog is unfocused and annoying, Garden Party is compelling in its concision.

Now that I've been properly introduced to Marillion, I'm going to have to absorb the rest of their music. Here's hoping it's as fantastic as this song.

No comments:

Post a Comment