Thursday, July 5, 2012

Song of the Night (#1) John Surman's Portrait of a Romantic

I'd never even heard of this John Surman guy until I did a brief search for avante-garde Jazz music and New Age music. Apparently, the man's an exceptional saxophonist with experience with a very, very impressive resume.

Of course, I didn't know this when I listened to the song. I knew something else: this was one of the most forlorn, mournful and gorgeous songs I've ever listened to.

It begins with a clarinet solo winding its way through the cold night air. Then a sprinkling of synthesizers, tinkling like glass wind chimes. And then the sax. Jesus, that Sax. I don't really have words for it, but I'll try anyways. I didn't think it was possible to express such loneliness with a sax.

When I hear this, I can picture a lonely, lonely stranger atop standing atop a grassy hill, staring into the darkness.


No comments:

Post a Comment