Friday, July 27, 2012

Song of the Night (#6) Joy Division - Disorder

I'm a neophyte in regards to Joy Division's discography and history. The most obvious cause of this is my ignorance towards New Wave music, but a more important reason is the musical legacy left behind by such influential groups. This legacy was the Post-Punk genre, an arty and inwards response to the unbridled rebellion of Punk Rock; it has forever confounded me as a listener, seeing that I prefer my rock music straightforward and unambiguous.

And then there's this song. As I said above, I care little for Joy Division's reputation. But briefly listening to their music taught me that this was a very special band, especially in conveying feelings of ambiguity and ominousness. I began listening to Unknown Pleasures (Joy Division's debut), and realized that it was possible to combine the focused feel of a traditional rock song with ambitious emotional undertones.

The sensation of listening to this song is much like drifting off into space, lulled by that pensive bass line, soaring guitar riffs and echoing drums. Above it all is Ian Curtis, recounting episodes of ennui, loneliness, paranoia. The barely-contained despair only reaches its apex at the song's end; this is a portrait of a man on edge, listless and emotionally disconnected from everyone around him. Despite this dark subject matter, the surrounding melodies are nothing less than gentle and compassionate.

Brilliant stuff.

No comments:

Post a Comment